top of page

Key Dates

Key Dates

1738

Conversion of John Wesley in London.

1739

John Wesley began to preach in the open air.
Wesley’s first visit to Wales.

1791

Death of John Wesley

1799

Edward Jones returned home to Bathafarn, Ruthin following his conversion in Manchester and rented a room for Methodist meetings.

1800

The British Wesleyan Methodist Conference accepted the proposal of Thomas Coke to send Welsh-speaking missionaries to Wales. Owen Davies and John Hughes were sent. John Bryan and Edward Jones were added shortly afterwards.

1804

A Wales District was created with 1709 members.

1809

The first issue of Yr Eurgrawn Wesleyaidd (The Wesleyan Magazine), a monthly periodical modelled on The Methodist Magazine, which had been launched by John Wesley in 1778 under the title The Arminian Magazine.


A Book Room was established as a publications office in Dolgellau. It later moved to Llanfair Caereinion and Llanidloes before settling in Bangor in 1859. A designated building was provided in Bangor in 1887.

1829

Two Districts were created - the North District (Talaith y Gogledd) and the South District (Talaith y Deheudir) - with a total of 7947 members.

1831

A dispute arose among the Welsh-language Wesleyan Methodists, with some leaving to form a movement known as the Wesle Bach (Minor Wesleyans). They joined the Wesleyan Methodist Association in 1837.

1859

A revival began in Tre’r Ddôl under the leadership of the Wesleyan preacher Humphrey Jones. Under the influence of the revival the total membership of the Welsh-speaking Wesleyans rose from 13,447 in 1859 to 16,832 in 1861.

1877

Publication of the first issue of Y Gwyliedydd (The Watchman), a weekly paper for the Welsh Wesleyan Methodists.

1899

The Welsh Assembly (Y Gymanfa Gymreig) was created. It met annually and was responsible for overseeing the work of the Welsh Districts and for ordaining Welsh ministers. It was answerable to the Wesleyan Methodist Conference.

1904

Three Districts were created – The First North District (Talaith Gyntaf y Gogledd), The Second North District (Ail Dalaith y Gogledd), and the South District (Talaith y Deheudir) – with a total of 22,078 members.

1905

A total of 26,108 members was recorded, the highest figure ever, doubtless because of the influence of the 1904-05 Revival.

1925

A total of 25,119 members was recorded, but membership declined steadily after this date.

1946

A History Society was formed and published the first volume of the periodical Bathafarn under the editorship of A. H. Williams.

1965

The Book Room was closed due to financial pressures.

1974

One District was created with 10,774 members. The Welsh Assembly ended.

1983

The final number of Yr Eurgrawn was published. The denominations joined to publish the inter-denominational magazine Cristion.

1987

The first number of a new version of the Gwyliedydd was published under the editorship of Owain Owain. It began as a monthly publication but now appears every two months.

1988

The denominations united to produce Y Beibl Cymraeg Newydd (The New Welsh Bible). The Methodist scholar Owen E. Evans played a leading role as Director of the project.

2001

The interdenominational hymnbook Caneuon Ffydd (Songs of Faith) was published. The book has done much to bring the denominations closer to each other.

2022

Synod Cymru and Wales Synod unite to become the bilingual Wales Synod Cymru.

bottom of page